For those who want to be active in the field of exercise science and personal training, CSEP has two certifications. CSEP Certified Personal Trainers® (CSEP-CPT) and CSEP Clinical Exercise Physiologists™ (CSEP-CEP) provide clients with individualized exercise programming that supports lasting lifestyle changes.
CSEP’s evidence-informed certifications are for individuals who have a post-secondary education in exercise science or related field, and meet a required standard of knowledge. All of the assessments and standards that certified members use are validated in research to best help clients.
Choose CSEP for your certification because:
You want to be part of a community of qualified exercise professionals who recognize the need to improve health outcomes for all Canadians.
You believe it is important that qualified exercise professionals follow a client-centred evidence-informed process to help clients adapt and maintain a physically active life.
Your certified membership will include Professional Liability Insurance designed to support your broad Scope of Practice.
Being CSEP certified reflects the depth of your knowledge and dedication to your profession.
Your first step to becoming CSEP certified is to read the requirements, choose the certification best for you, and apply to determine if you are eligible to pursue certification.
A CSEP-CPT works with individuals
to meet their healthy lifestyle goals using an evidence-informed
approach acquired through education. Learn more about CPT.
CSEP-CEPs work in clinical and
fitness settings, applying advanced education, skills, and experience to improve and maintain the health and quality of life of individuals, including those living with chronic conditions.
Learn more about CEP.
As of November 2019, the name CSEP Certified Exercise Physiologist® changed to CSEP Clinical Exercise Physiologist™.
Overview of CSEP Certifications
CSEP-CPTs and CSEP-CEPs each have their own Scope of Practice and requirements. The Scope of Practice defines the actions and activities the CSEP-CPT or CSEP-CEP is qualified and insured to perform.
- CSEP-CPT’s Scope of Practice includes working with apparently healthy individuals or those with one stable health condition. They can perform sub-max testing and provide exercise prescription. View More.
- CSEP-CEP’s Scope of Practice includes includes working with general populations, and those with chronic health conditions, functional limitations or disabilities. CSEP-CEPs can administer any assessment protocol available, as well as sub-max and maximal testing. View More.
To be eligible to book your Theory and Practical Exams you must first apply. You cannot book the exams before you apply and your application is approved. When you are approved to challenge the exams you will be sent instructions to book your Theory Exam with PearsonVUE and your Practical Exam with a CSEP Instructor-Examiner. View more exam information.
Your first step is to read the requirements and apply online. When we receive your application a CSEP staff member will review it to determine if you are eligible to challenge the exams and then contact you with next steps.
CSEP will work with applicants who do not meet the requirements to discuss their best path forward. To receive consultation you must first apply!
You may be eligible to apply for equivalency registration as a CSEP Certified Member. To learn more and apply for registration select the appropriate link below.
- I am an ESSA Accredited Exercise Scientist (AES) in-good-standing. You could be eligible to register as a CSEP-Certified Personal Trainer® (CSEP-CPT) with the CSEP High Performance Specialization™. Apply Now.
- I am an ESSA Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) in-good-standing. You could be eligible to register as a CSEP Clinical Exercise Physiologist® (CSEP-CEP) with the CSEP High Performance Specialization™. Apply Now.
- I am an ACSM Exercise Physiologist Certification (ACSM-EP) in-good-standing. You could be eligible to register as a CSEP Certified Personal Trainer® (CSEP-CPT). Apply Now.
- I am an ACSM Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (ACSM-CEP) in-good-standing. You could be eligible to register as a CSEP Clinical Exercise Physiologist™ (CSEP-CEP). Apply Now.
Still have a question? Read all of the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Prepare for your exams by purchasing the certification guide and using a number of resources developed to help you succeed.
IMPORTANT: Only the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP) provides access to its approved study and examination preparation materials. CSEP does not have an agreement with any third party to provide practice exams or study material, for example on the website Exam Prep Hero. Valid and appropriate exam preparation materials can be found on the CSEP website and via the CSEP candidate password-protected area on csep.ca.
The CSEP Office is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm Eastern.