Maintaining My Certification

You are required to renew your CSEP-CPT/CSEP-CEP certification every year on or before March 31st. You can renew online straight from your membership profile on the CSEP Member Portal. You can renew for the upcoming year starting sometime in February.

The following is required for renewal:

  • Collection of CSEP-Professional Development Credits (every two years).
  • Documentation proving current CPR level C or equivalent certification (Certification must not be more than a year old).
  • Completion of the annual renewal survey.

CSEP Certified members Code of Conduct

For more details, see

Professional Liability & Commercial General Liability insurance is included in the member fees for the CSEP Certified Personal Trainer® and CSEP Clinical Exercise Physiologist®, and this covers you for acts carried out within the respective Scope of Practice.

  • If you are a CSEP member, you can log in to access the professional liability insurance program page. This page will highlight the all of the insurance plans for CSEP-CEPs and CSEP-CPTs.
  • If you require a PDF copy of your policy, please contact

If you are a CSEP-CPT or CSEP-CEP, you can purchase optional insurance extensions. To do so, log into your CSEP Store account and view personalized information about available add-ons on the Membership+Insurance tab of your CSEP Store Account page.

If you are a CSEP-CEP, you have online access to the journal Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism (APNM), including all back issues. To access it, log into your CSEP Store account and click on the “Members-Only Benefits” tab of your CSEP Store Account page.

If you are a CSEP-CPT, you can purchase this access for $25/year. To purchase it, log into your CSEP Store account and click on the “Member Benefits” tab of your CSEP Store Account page.

Yes. CSEP is a national organization and its certifications are recognized nationwide. Once certified with CSEP, as a member your professional certification and insurance policy are valid in any Canadian province.

No, they are not transferable abroad. Equivalency among international certifications is not straightforward. The real challenge is to obtain an insurance policy in the country in which you wish to practice. In these circumstances you may also require certification from that country.


Annual CPR-C recertification is required as part of the CSEP insurance policy. The insurance will not cover any incident that occurs if your most recent CPR recertification was over one year ago at the time of the incident.

I have a question that is not covered in this FAQ

For any other questions, please contact