#CSEPTurns50 - Message from CSEP Chair
January 27, 2017
Happy New Year! It is my great pleasure to usher in the start of CSEP’s 50th anniversary year.
The Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology, originally known as the Canadian Association of Sports Sciences, (CASS), was officially announced by His Excellency HRH Prince Phillip during the opening address of the first Pan American Games held in Canada, July 24-25, 1967 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Here is brief overview on how it unfolded:
- Discussion among officials were initiated as early as 1944, to create an organization dedicated to the Sport Sciences, and serve as the Canadian affiliate to the Fédération Internationale de Médicine Sportive (FIMS).
- The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) was founded in 1954 and became the American affiliate to FIMS.
- With the decision to host the 1967 Pan-Am Games, came the obligation to host the FIMS conference.
- Between 1963 and 1967 a joint subcommittee of the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) and the Canadian Association of Health, Physical Education and Recreation (CAHPER) worked to establish the new organization, Canadian Association of Sport Sciences (CASS) which held its inaugural meeting on Monday, July 24, 1967.
CASS endured for 25 years, and over these years many of the sport science disciplines (i.e., sports medicine, biomechanics and motor learning) formed their own organizations with the majority of CASS members focused on conducting research in the academic area of exercise physiology and human kinetics. In 1992 members agreed to change the name to the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP) and since then as CSEP we have continued to bring science to practice in Canada.
Throughout 2017 we will commemorate this historic milestone in ways which highlight both our longstanding members and our newest members, and their contributions to the field of exercise science. Among these initiatives are:
- Our special CSEP 50th Anniversary logo and brand
- A look back: Canadian Contributions to Exercise Physiology
Last fall we commenced publishing a series of historical articles in Communiqué that profile the key contributors to the many research areas within exercise physiology in Canada. Coordinated by the CSEP Knowledge Translation Committee and many volunteers, these articles will continue throughout 2017 and result in a comprehensive e-book to commemorate the CSEP’s 50th year.
- CSEP 2017: Back to the Beginning
We will be going back to Winnipeg, Manitoba for this year’s AGM, CSEP 2017: Back to the Beginning, October 25-28. Confirmed Keynotes include Dr. Michael Joyner, Kevin Shoemaker and Stephen Cheung. Stay tuned for notices of special programming and events planned for this year’s conference.
- Growing the CSEP Community
In 2017 we will introduce two new Membership categories, Industry Partner and Supporter Member, to help expand the depth of the CSEP community and enhance our reach and influence. The CSEP Member Services committee is committed refining the benefits package for all members to increase your pride and satisfaction in being a member.
- CSEP Member Memories
We will introduce an online national commemorative portal for you to participate with other members across the country and around the world to share your recollections, photos and memorabilia with your fellow members.
Please join me, the board of directors and volunteers past and present, to make 2017 a year to remember!
Philip D. Chilibeck, PhD
Chair, CSEP Board of Directors
Click here to learn more about at the CSEP 50th Anniversary celebration activities.
Back to Listing