CSEP Announces a New Performance Specialization
CSEP is working to further expand the opportunities for members with the development of Specializations. Offered as an add-on to existing CSEP certifications, Specializations will provide members with the necessary in-depth knowledge to work with unique populations through cutting-edge, evidence-informed learning modules, and assessments.
A CSEP Performance Specialization covering assessments and training for performance and occupational clients is currently under development for release in late 2019. Specific dates will be confirmed closer to the release and are subject to change until then.
Read the release.
What is the Performance Specialization?
The Performance Specialization is a designation that can be earned by current certified members of the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP) who successfully completes a multiple-choice theory exam. The Performance Specialization Theory Exam and an online prep course will be released in 2019.
When will the Performance Specialization be released?
Development is underway with a comprehensive review process and pilot phase. The Performance Specialization, along with an online prep course and mandatory theory exam, will be launched in 2019.
I'm a CSEP-CEP interested in working in Performance settings. How do I get the Performance Specialization?
Current CSEP-CEPs will be automatically granted the Performance Specialization. When the specialization is released, all current CSEP-CEPs will be considered a CSEP-CEP with Performance Specialization.**
For those who become a CSEP-CEP after January 2, 2019 Performance Specialization they will have the opportunity to earn the Performance Specialization by successfully completing a 60 questions multiple-choice theory exam.**
I'm a CSEP-CPT interested in working in Performance settings. How do I get the Performance Specialization?
Current CSEP-CPTs will have the opportunity to earn the Performance Specialization by successfully completing a 60 questions multiple-choice theory exam.**
Once a CSEP-CPT has obtained the Performance Specialization designation, they may utilize assessment protocols or design exercise programs that require maximal aerobic or anaerobic effort. They may also assess muscular strength using maximal 1-RM assessment protocols or design programs based on resistance loads exceeding 90% of the predicted 1-RM.
What is the cost of the Performance Specialization?
- Online Prep Course: Price coming soon
- Theory Exam: Price coming soon (multiple choice theory exam is administered through PearsonVUE at testing centres, or through secure online proctoring)
Is there a Practical Exam?
No. The Performance Specialization is obtained by successfully completing the 60 question, multiple-choice theory exam. There is no practical exam for the Performance Specialization.
Will my Performance Specialization expire or need renewing?
No, once you earn the Performance Specialization, it will not expire and there are no membership renewals. You will however, need to maintain your CSEP-CPT or CSEP-CEP certification in good standing to hold the CSEP Performance Specialization designation.
Will I need to earn PDCs with the Performance Specialization?
No. You will however, need to earn your required CSEP-CPT or CSEP-CEP Professional Development Credits (PDCs) in order to hold the CSEP Performance Specialization designation.
Other helpful information:
- Any current CSEP-CEP candidate pursuing certification who completes their CSEP-CEP Theory Exam and Practical Exam by December 28, 2019* will automatically be granted the Performance Specialization when registering as a CSEP-CEP.
- Any CSEP-CEP candidate who does not complete both exams successfully by December 28, 2019* will not automatically receive the Performance Specialization and will need to pursue the Performance Specialization to work with these populations.
- Any CSEP-CEP applicant who applies after December 2*, will not be automatically granted the Performance Specialization, and will need to complete the online learning modules (or providing evidence of relevant post-secondary coursework), and the Performance Specialization Theory Exam.
We will provide ongoing updates throughout the year with release dates, pre-registration options, and other important details.
*Prices and timeline subject to change.
**The CSEP-CPT and CSEP-CEP Scope of Practice will have a special denotation for those with the Performance Specialization designation allowing for expanded Scope of Practice.