The purpose of this grant is to provide direct support to CSEP certified member’s efforts and activities that assist with broadening and growing their practice.
- The grant is restricted to CSEP Certified members who have acquired a business number and/or business location in the previous two calendar years.
- Preference will be given to CSEP members whose business is registered with Canada Revenue Agency, and whose primary practice is within Canada. International CSEP members are eligible for this grant.
- Eligible expenses must be described in terms of how they support the CSEP Certified member’s efforts and activities in an effort to broaden and grow their practice. Examples may include specialized equipment related to exercise physiology, fitness, physical activity promotion and assessment, community activities that assist the member in recruiting new clients, etc. Common equipment such as printers, desks, office supplies, etc. will not be supported.
- All activities must fall within the CSEP Certified member’s scope of practice.
- It is expected that successful applicants will assist in the peer review of similar grants in subsequent competitions.
- The proposal must be no longer than two-pages (not including any relevant supporting documentation E.g. quotes), single spaced (12-point Times New Roman or 11-point Arial font, 2 cm margins). The application should include the following information:
- Outline of the equipment that will be purchased or the activity that will be conducted (additional details will be included in budget – see below).
- Importance of equipment or activity for supporting the professional members’ practice.
- The ability of the member to implement the equipment and activity including their past training or experience in this regard, and any additional personnel support or existing resources that exist to support the initiative.
- How the applicant expects their practice to grow following this support in alignment with CSEP’s mission.
- On a separate page, not included in the two-page limit, include a budget justification and statement of financial need. Quotations for equipment must be included as an attachment to the budget justification.
- In addition to the proposal, applicants must submit a professional resume emphasizing their experience as a CSEP member.
- Please note that incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- There will be an open call with reminders sent once a year in the Communique and the student newsletter.
- Nominations will be reviewed qualitatively by the CSEP Member Services Committee for the degree to which their activities have been consistent and/or provided an impact aligning with the goals of CSEP.
- One-third of the grant application will be scored on the professional member’s past track record of impact on the community and clients. The remaining two-thirds will be scored on the proposal itself (i.e. need, impact of the grant on the practice, importance of the activities and impact of the practice on the community, alignment with advancement of the CSEP mission, etc.).
- A score of 1-5 will be used.
- The unsuccessful application will receive an In-depth review, along with feedback comments.
- Priority may be given to those with greater financial need.
CSEP Certified Member Business Grant Recipient (2022-2023)
“The business growth grant allowed me to buy specialized equipment for a community neuromuscular program I was planning. As a new business owner, this grant helped me to provide a better quality program for participants and to invest in future projects.“
- The grant will consist of up to $2,500 (CAD) and a complimentary registration for the CSEP Annual Conference, valid within two calendar years for the date of the receipt of the grant. The applicant may be invited to convey the impact of this grant in a future CSEP newsletter.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 11:59:59PM on June 6, 2023
and Inclusion Statement
The Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all aspects of the Society’s business. This includes, but is not limited to, applications for membership, awards and grant review, and employment and volunteer positions. CSEP welcomes applications and participation from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. In its commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, members of the Society, its committees and employees and/or any award/grant recipients are expected to uphold the same policies in their work related to the Society.