Sessional – Faculty- BIOL 3400 (Reading and Writing Great Biology) – (02050.9425)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University -> Faculty of Science -> Biological Sciences
Applications will be reviewed commencing the closing application date and may continue until the position is filled.
Posting In effect from
Closing Application Date
Academic/Career (max 24 credits)
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (If Applicable)
Kamloops Campus, – Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
Thompson Rivers University (www.tru.ca) is a uniquely comprehensive, student-focused institution built on over 45 years of excellence in post-secondary education and training. TRU’s spectacular main campus is located in Kamloops, BC (www.kamloops.ca), a prosperous city located just a 4-hour drive from Vancouver, a 50-minute drive from Sun Peaks (the second-largest ski area in Canada), in the heart of the southern BC interior. Kamloops offers world-class tourism and recreation, excellent cultural, social, and economic opportunities, as well as over 2,000 hours of sunshine annually.
The Faculty of Science is seeking a Lecturer in Biological Sciences to lead the course in Reading and Writing Great Biology
- Lecture/present selected writings across a range of Biological Sciences topics/subjects in ecology, microbiology, physiology, genetics, and others.
- Lead seminars in how to write using storytelling techniques for many target audiences.
- Lead seminars that focus on the mechanics of writing (grammar and prose).
- Provide extensive and timely feedback on written student submissions.
- Organize guest lectures.
- Grade students written submissions and quizzes throughout the semester.
- PhD preferred, M.Sc. with relevant experience, teaching experience an asset.
- Must have a strong background in biology and be well-versed in biological storytelling, i.e., writing techniques used to communicate biology to a broad audience.
- Should be able to critique student essays for biological accuracy, grammar, narrative arc, character development and other storytelling techniques.
- Should have experience leading undergraduate seminars and discussions; experience organizing student writing workshops preferred.
- Please Note: If you are selected for an interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview.
According to TRUFA Salary Schedule
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment: Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Color, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.