The Exercise Physiologist (EP) is a key member of the Harrison Healthcare team. The EP practices to the full scope of practice and standards as established by Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology and works in close collaboration with the interprofessional clinical team to manage the delivery of clinical services. The EP is an advocate and a navigator, delivering thoughtful and compassionate care of the highest standard.
An Exercise Physiologist (EP) at Harrison Healthcare is primarily responsible for performing fitness assessments for clients, prescribing exercise, preparing associated reports, and providing ongoing consultations. The EP is responsible for constructing the fitness and functional movement component of a client’s health plan as well as performing maximal and sub-maximal stress ECGs and other cardio-pulmonary assessments. An EP will act as a health, wellness, and fitness coach for each client they are assigned to, encouraging health plan adherence while providing professional guidance through exercise prescription, personalized recommendations, and promoting health plan adherence.
- Perform fitness assessments for clients following the company’s established protocols.
- Understand each client’s health plan and work proactively with the client and other team members in support of that plan.
- Perform functional movement assessments for clients.
- Prescribe and recommend exercises, stretches or allied health care practitioners based on results of assessments
- Create exercise and active rehabilitation programs for various goals, abilities, ages and equipment availability
- Conduct maximal and sub-maximal treadmill and ergometer stress tests.
- Conduct resting ECGs and other Cardio-Pulmonary pulmonary tests.
- Document exercise, injury and lifestyle history into patient charts.
- Orient the client on the services and capabilities of the Centre.
- Schedule assessments and consultations with clients.
- Maintain current knowledge of tests & assessments within their professional realm, making suggestions for the continuous improvement of the fitness and exercise medicine components of the company’s health service.
- Provide counseling and coaching services to clients to improve a client’s fitness as outlined in their health plans.
- Compile and prepare reports on the health status of each assigned client, including the results of tests & assessments.
- Assist in assuring that each client’s health/medical record is complete and accurate within the scope of the professional role, maintaining the highest level of patient confidentiality and information security.
- Be clear and accurate in communication with other professional team members.
- Maintain the highest standard of service to clients, ensuring timely follow-ups and regular communication.
- Maintain service levels to promote and meet our guarantees.
- Keep charts confidential and maintain the highest level of patient confidentiality.
- Participating in continuing education opportunities to maintain professional practice growth, knowledge and expertise that reflect current standards of practice and latest advances in medicine.
- Facilitating knowledge translation from research to clinical practice and encouraging knowledge exchange in day-to day activities.
- Participating in program development and quality improvement, as required.
- Initiating or providing input in the development and revision of standard operating procedures, policies and procedures, and patient information handouts.
- Performing other related duties, as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Completion of the Certified Exercise Physiologist CSEP designation through CSEP (Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology) or ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine)
- Experience with exercise testing (stress test) and ECG reading
- At least one-year clinical experience in primary health care area including assessing and treating children, youth, and adults in an acute or community/outpatient care setting, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- At least two-years of exercise prescription, active rehabilitation and/or lifestyle coaching experience for various populations and abilities.
Employment type: Employee
Employment hours: Full time
Required use of personal automobile: No
Work location: Fixed Premises (e.g. clinic)
Company: Harrison Healthcare
Contact email: email@example.com