Organization: Department of Kinesiology, Michigan State University
Title of Position: Assistant Professor-Tenure Stream in Exercise Physiology
Employment Location: East Lansing, MI, United States
Closing date: 2022-11-18
The Department of Kinesiology at Michigan State University invites applications for a 9-month tenure-system position in exercise physiology, at the assistant-professor rank, to begin in August 2023. Both Michigan State University and the Department of Kinesiology actively promote a dynamic research and learning environment in which qualified individuals of differing perspectives and cultural backgrounds pursue academic goals with mutual respect and shared inquiry.
We are seeking qualified candidates with expertise in exercise physiology. Candidates who can complement our interdisciplinary work in cardiovascular physiology and those with experience in translating laboratory discovery to practical application (“benchtop to bedside”) are particularly encouraged to apply. The ideal candidate will enhance the research and grant portfolio of our Department, will be committed to high-quality teaching and mentoring of undergraduate and graduate students, and will value service to the institution, profession, and community. The Department is particularly interested in individuals with a history of promoting diversity in their research, teaching, and service.
- Develop and maintain a scholarly research program that will augment departmental strengths
- Seek and obtain external funding at a level that would permit continuous, stable research activity
- Teach in all modes of delivery (face-to-face and online) and at all levels in areas of expertise and departmental curricular need
- Recruit, advise, and mentor graduate students at both the Master’s and Ph.D. levels
- Perform service as appropriate to the department, college, university, profession, and community
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Kinesiology or related field
Doctorate in kinesiology or related field, with emphasis in exercise physiology.
Preference will be given to applicants who have post-doctoral experience, can complement our interdisciplinary work in cardiovascular physiology, and those with experience in translating laboratory discovery to practical application (“benchtop to bedside”). However, all applicants with an outstanding record in any domain of health-related exercise physiology (e.g., metabolism, muscle biology, aging, genetics, immunobiology) will be given fair and careful consideration. The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to carry out cutting-edge research, substantial potential for obtaining external funding, strong commitment to teaching and mentorship of students, and initiative in building an equitable and diverse scholarly and instructional environment.
Required Application Materials
Applications should be submitted via CAREERS@MSU (https://careers.msu.edu). Applications must include:
- A cover letter that specifically addresses the relation of the candidate’s interests to the ongoing research and instructional activities of the Department.
- A curriculum vitae, including a complete list of publications with active Digital Object Identifier (DOI) links, record of research funding, teaching and mentoring roles, contributions to the academic community, and efforts in public outreach.
- A detailed research statement highlighting past research accomplishments and future plans, emphasizing the ability of the applicant to conduct independent research. This statement should also address the applicant’s experience or plans to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Kinesiology research community.
- A teaching statement describing the applicant’s experience and future goals in instruction and mentoring of graduate and undergraduate students. We strongly encourage including information about the candidate’s experience or plans to create an inclusive and equitable learning environment for students.
- Contact information for three individuals who have agreed to serve as references. All three individuals should be able to attest to the applicant’s professional integrity and collegiality, at least two should be knowledgeable regarding the applicant’s current research and future plans, and at least one should be able to address the applicant’s instructional experience and ability. Written letters of recommendation will be requested for candidates who are invited for interviews.
The university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
The review of applications will begin on November 18, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Review of Applications Begins On
The Department of Kinesiology at Michigan State University is one of the oldest in the United States, first established as the Department of Physical Culture in 1899. Today, kinesiology is one of the largest undergraduate majors on campus and our doctoral program is ranked among the top 25 in the Evaluation of Doctoral Programs in Kinesiology conducted by the National Academy of Kinesiology. All major areas of kinesiology are represented within the Department, including exercise physiology, sport and exercise psychology, motor control and learning, biomechanics, and athletic training. The Department is characterized by a strong focus on student success, a vibrant research culture, and a friendly, collegial, and family-friendly atmosphere.
Michigan State University, founded in 1855, is the nation’s premier land-grant university. It is a member of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, and one of the top 100 research universities in the world. It is an inclusive academic community, in which our approximately 50,000 students (25.9% students of color) attend over 200 academic programs. Our 5,300-acre campus is one of the biggest and greenest in the nation.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
HOW TO ADVERTISE
To advertise an Opportunity on the CSEP website and monthly e-newsletter, please complete the Posting Application Form. Be sure to have ready for upload:
And that you are ready to enter:
- $84.75 for CSEP members;
- $113.00 for non-members.
Ads are posted for 60-days or until the closing date (whichever comes first).
Click here to go to the CSEP Post Opportunities Application Form online;
OR Scan the QR code below to go to the CSEP Post Opportunities Application Form