Date Posted: 09/12/2022
Req ID: 27150
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Kinesiology & Physl Ed.
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00052800
This position is in the lab of Professor Amy Kirkham in the Faculty of Kinesiology and Physical Education and the ‘Cardiometabolic, Oncology, Diet and Exercise in Women’ (CODE-W) research centre (in development). The lab and research centre characterize the intersection of cancer, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease in women and develop lifestyle interventions (exercise, diet, rehabilitation, etc) to prevent or ameliorate these conditions. The lab and research centre take a comprehensive and holistic assessment approach, encompassing the collection and analysis of biological samples, real-time biosensors (e.g., continuous glucose monitors, physical activity trackers), cardiopulmonary exercise testing, state-of-the-art magnetic resonance and ultrasound imaging (primarily cardiac and vascular), and patient-reported and clinical outcomes.
The Research Coordinator’s primary purpose is to be responsible for the maintenance or control of research-related activities in the lab, including coordination of lab activities and ongoing studies. The incumbent may support other research projects by providing knowledge, skills, and on-the-job training to others.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Independently recruit and interact with patient (and control) participants for a number of ongoing studies both in person (including hospital sites, primarily Princess Margaret Cancer Centre to recruit women with breast cancer) and by phone
- Effectively communicate with clinicians, patients, co-investigators, and other lab members in professional manner regarding research activities
- Ensure adherence of research practices of self and team to research ethics guidelines, Good Clinical Practices and appropriate EQUATOR network guidelines for clinical trials
- Conduct research assessments with a variety of clinical tools for evaluation of blood pressure, heart rate, metabolic carts, exercise equipment, activity monitors etc
- Submit applications, renewals, and amendments for research ethics and clinicaltrials.gov records.
- Assist in the procurement, setup, development, and update of lab operating protocols for new physiological assessment equipment and provide technical support and/or training for other team members
- Assist with orientation and training for new lab members and act as an on-site resource to trainees
- Assist with research-related administration and accounting responsibilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in Kinesiology, Physical Education, Nutrition Sciences, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Physiology, Human Biology, Biomedical Engineering or other closely related field that involves application to humans or an equivalent combination of related education and experience. Master’s degree considered an asset.
- Minimum of two years of experience (including graduate school) in research, project management, or administrative work. If no research experience, applicants are expected to outline how their other work experience has appropriately prepared them for the position
- Experience in clinical settings (either research or healthcare) is an asset, including experience interacting with both clinicians and patients
- Strong oral and written communication, team and customer service skills, and an ability to exercise judgment within established guidelines.
- Strong leadership, communication, organization, problem solving, interpersonal skills, and professional demeanor
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to work both independently, and in a team environment
- Ability to provide technical support for other team members through advice on technical lab issues
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and to multi-task while remaining organized and diligent
- Applicants with clinical exercise physiology certification or registered dietitian credentials will be given special consideration.
- Experience with grant writing, manuscript writing or other formal writing practices considered an asset.
Closing Date: 09/26/2022, 11:59PM ET (possibility for extension)
Appointment Type: Grant – Term * This is a one-year term with potential for renewal
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 09 — $60,006 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $76,739.