Become a CSEP Mentor to an up-and-coming CSEP member!
Interested in being a mentor to up-and-coming CSEP certified, academic, and student members? To help build your skills as a mentor and connect with others CSEP Member Services is offering a mentorship workshop on November 6 and a mentor networking event on November 7 at CSEP 2019 in Kelowna!
If you are interested in gaining new perspectives, learning more about the CSEP community, mentoring someone in your field, and increasing your leadership capacity we encourage you to apply.
We are excited to be partnering with the Coaching Association of Canada (CAC) to offer the NCCP Mentorship module. The Module will help prepare new mentors to step into their role, while providing experienced mentors with new tools for their mentoring relationships.
The CAC Mentorship module reaffirms and strengthens abilities and skills as a mentor, while expanding upon the mentor’s knowledge of the mentoring process.
During the training, participants will:
- Look at the 4 mentorship principles
- Be introduced to the concept of mentoring
- Work through the process of cognitive coaching
- Acquire and perform the communication skills required to be an effective mentor
- Utilize the 3 steps of the mentoring process
When: Wednesday, November 6 from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (includes breakfast and lunch)
Where: Delta Grand Okanagan, Kelowna B.C. – Mt. Boucherie Room
CAC Mentorship Module Facilitator: Marc Bowles, B.ED, PCC, CHPC
Cost: There is no cost for CSEP members to attend. Non-members can attend for $120.00.
Outline of the Day
8:00 to 8:30 am – Arrivals
8:30 to 9:30 am – Understanding Mentorship
9:30 to 11:30 am – Mentoring Functions and Skills
11:30 to 12:15 pm – Lunch
12:15 to 2:10 pm – Mentoring Functions and Skills continued
2:10 to 3:30 pm – Mentoring Process
3:30 to 4:30 pm – CSEP Next Steps in Mentoring
Following the workshop all mentors are invited to participate in a mentorship networking breakfast facilitated by the Student Committee. At the event mentors will have the opportunity to connect with mentees, offer insights, and learn about peers.
All mentors will be assigned a table and mentees will have the opportunity to visit the tables that suit their interests. The event will close with a talk on the importance of mentorship and student leadership.
When: Thursday, November 7 from 7:00 am to 8:00 am (includes breakfast)
Where: Delta Grand Okanagan, Kelowna B.C. – Chilcotin Room
7:00 am – Arrival, get breakfast, network at stand-up tables
7:15 am – 7:20 am – Welcome from the Student Committee
7:20 am – 7:40 am – Experts Express
7:4 0am – 7:50 am – Dr. Jonathon Fowles speaking on a topic of personal growth
7:50 am – 8:00am – Wrap up with experts, make plans to connect in the future.
Who can Apply?
Applications are now closed. If you are interested in updates on CSEP mentorship initiatives please contact email@example.com
If you believe you have something to offer in one of the targeted areas, are passionate about helping others to fulfil their career objectives, and open-minded to learning as much as teaching, we encourage you to apply!
- Do I have to be a CSEP member to apply? No! As long as you have something to offer our CSEP protégé members, we welcome your application.
- Is there a fee to attend? There is no cost for CSEP members to attend the mentor events. Non-members can attend for $120.00.Attendees are responsible for any travel or accommodation costs; reduced rates on accommodation are available for a limited time through the CSEP2019 Conference website.
- Will I earn CSEP-PDCs? Yes! You will earn 15 CSEP-PDCs for the Mentor Workshop
- Is this event eligible for NCCP credits? Yes! It is worth 5 NCCP PD Points
Why be a CSEP mentor? CSEP is a community of like-minded individuals who believe in science to practice in exercise science. Mentoring has shown to engage and retain members, build relationships, increase productivity and advance knowledge for all involved. As a mentor you will support CSEP members in developing core skills while improving the overall leadership capacity for CSEP.
Registration has now closed for the Mentor Workshop. Stay tuned for future activities.